Yep, I'm still hanging around the Uxbridge Train Station.
A caboose! Raise your hand if you remember seeing a caboose passing over the rails at the tail end of a freight train. (I'm waving my hand wildly.) Canadian railways began phasing them out in 1989, opting to replace them with an electronic safety device that few of us would recognize if we saw one. The decision was made to save railways money. When I was a kid I liked to wave at the caboose crew. I've never waved at the electronic device.
The windows at the top of this caboose are in a cupola where a crew member sat in an elevated seat to watch over the train cars ahead.
Have you ever wondered what's inside a caboose? Well, now you know.
This is a short and stubby open freight car. I wonder what it used to haul.
Across the street from the station three painted panels on the wall of a large building celebrate Uxbridge's railway heritage.
I hope you enjoyed your visit. ;-)
- ► 2012 (408)
- ► 2011 (499)
- ► 2010 (490)
- ► 2009 (439)
- Pick N' Pay Strawberries
- Purple-flowering Raspberry
- Sulphur Cinquefoil
- A Walk in the Forest
- Sailing, Sailing.../ Sky Watch
- Replica Lighthouse, Olcott, NY
- W is for Weekend Walk
- Cobblestone Museum, Upstate New York
- The Good, the Bad and the Pretty
- Blackberries, the original kind
- Doctor Who Was/Is Here
- First Graders in the Garden
- Gumby meets Old McDonald/ Sky Watch
- Big Wheel
- He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
- Strutting His Stuff
- An Hour at the Pond
- Country Crafts
- Ferris Wheel - Sky Watch
- Wild Strawberry Flowers
- Petting Zoo at the Fair
- Mount Albert Sports Day 3
- A Starship Has Landed in EG/ Sports Day 2
- Sports Day & Spring Fair
- The York-Durham Heritage Railway II
- York-Durham Heritage Railway
- Uxbridge Train Station
- Kelley Bridge/ Broer som Binder
- Long Past It's Best-Before Date
- ▼ June (30)