Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hepatica

Hepatica americana -- this plant found while on a walk in the York Regional Forest – loves rich, humusy soil, and grows best under deciduous trees, especially beech. Yesterday I spotted both pink and white blossoms on hairy 10 to 15 centimetre- (4 to 6 inch-) stems. So far this year I have found no lavender-blue hepaticas. Maybe today!
Any leaves you see on the plant this early in the season are last year’s. New leaves – three lobes that turn dark and leathery -- will appear after the blooms fade. The name Hepatica comes from the same word as the Greek word for liver. (The human liver also has three lobes.) And some people call the plant, you guessed it, liverleaf.

7 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

Very "spring like" flowers! Would make a beautiful little bouquet!

Kate said...

Very beautiful flowers and appreciated so much at this time of year. YOur signature intrigued me; are you truly a tour guide? What kind and what area??

crittoria said...

Beautiful photos! Great information too.

dot said...

What an unusual flower! I hope you are able to find the different colors.

EG CameraGirl said...

Kate,
Sure I'm a tour guide, but not for pay. I'm taking you -- and anyone who wants to come -- to interesting places all around East Gwillimbury and area. ;-) You're travelling with me through pictures. Hope you like it here!

Small City Scenes said...

Beautiful plant. I love the plants in the woods. the trilliums are blooming too. thanks for the info. MB

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful and the hepatica bring me fond memories of my parents' farm. I managed to transplant a few pink and white in my yard. Unfortunately, they only lasted a few years and this is the first year without a bloom.

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.