Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Early August/ Nature Notes

Alongside a couple of dirt roads on the extreme east side of East Gwillimbury

Most of the flowers seen along the dirt roads were the white Queen Anne's lace, enjoying a very good year. But upon closer inspection I also discovered other flora and fauna.

Starting with the largest square and moving clockwise: a bee on bull thistle (Cirsium vulgare),  musk mallow (Malva moschata), soldier beetle on Queen Anne's lace (Daucus carota), everlasting pea (Lathyrus latifolius), cloudless sulphur butterfly on Canada thistle (Cirsium aevense) and monarch butterfly sipping water from the damp sand. FYI: I included the botanical names because wildflower common names vary from area to area.

For more Nature Notes,  please visit Michelle at Rambling Woods by clicking  HERE.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely collection. It's an art to notice (and capture) the small treasures along the way. Thanks.

Michelle said...

Love the thistle.

Leslie D. said...

Great collection of treasures.. You've even got a Monarch butterfly - a longtime annual visitor to my neck of the woods. The stay for the spring then fly north.

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous nature photos! The Queen Annes Lace has had a very good year here too. Or maybe I am just noticing it a lot more.

Becky said...

We have the exact same flowers here EG. Adding to the beauty of the landscape.
B.

Anonymous said...

Looks like it was definitly worth your time to take the time to look farther. Lots more than Queen Anne's Lace here.

Do you know the story about the red spot that develops in the middle of the Queen Anne's Lace umbrel? It's supposedly a drop of blood she shed doing needle work.

Unknown said...

Wonderful summertime flowers and bugs. :)

Rambling Woods said...

Oh a monarch...sigh..so glad to see one....I have to look up the thistle. We have a lot from pond to wood's edge and I wonder what kind it is...I always learn something from your NN posts...Thank you...

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» always enjoys your mosaics.
;-D

Unknown said...

and look at those insects, they are amazing.

Francisca said...

You make bugs look adorable... This is such a pretty summer mosaic... the flowers are so very different from what I see here.

B SQUARED said...

The everlasting pea is called sweet pea, here.

Small City Scenes said...

EG, you have outdone yourself on this sweet collage. Excellent and the colors are.............WOW!
MB

Carver said...

These are all wonderful shots. What a treat to see a monarch butterfly. I haven't seen any yet this year. They are all great but the everlasting pea is especially beautiful to me.

George said...

Thanks for another beautiful Nature Notes collage. Thanks, too, for giving us the botanical names as well as the common names.

Craver Vii said...

Drinking from the sand? Who would have thought?

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.