Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Anglican Church part 2

Three photos today to show you more clearly what the Anglican church I posted about yesterday looks like. This is the front door...but you cannot see it from the street. Such a shame. The door faces Old Yonge Street, but trees and a cemetery are in between.

Nowadays, the congregation access the church from the back on Petr Street (the view I posted yesterday). So if you simply drive by you miss the beautiful door -- I LOVE the hinges!
Over the door is the date the church was built. The lettering seems to fit the style of the building, don't you think?

And a closeup of the steeple, Hmmm, I think you still call it a steeple even if it doesn't have a tall spire.

9 comments:

Tom said...

I like the style of this church... the brickwork and the windows. The date stone is a bonus..

Small City Scenes said...

Do you suppose they had to hand make the bricks? Where else would they get them? I mean they couldn't go to their local building supply store. Incredible what our pioneers could/would do. MB

EG CameraGirl said...

MB,
Bricks were usually made of local clay by small brickworks in the area.

The early records for the church have been lost...er....actually, some kids (who had no idea of the record's value) took them out of the church some time before 1966. I don't know exactly when, but I'm assuming the kids destroyed them.

Shammickite said...

I think it's only called a steeple if it comes to a point, what you have there is a tower.
Nice to have some sunny and melty weather today, but there's still lots of snow in my back yard!

Kim said...

I love those front doors! Such a vibrant color.

Chuck Pefley said...

It's always nice to see the traditional red door on an Anglican or Episcopal church. Mildly annoying when some other denomination uses red, though.

Thanks for your comment and visit today.

EG CameraGirl said...

Ex-shammickite,

I checked and you're correct. It's called a tower! ;-)

Ken said...

I like the red door but didn't realize its traditional ( according to Chuck).

Anonymous said...

Very interesting to see the pictures and read all the information about the church.
Next time we are heading in your direction I'll visit the church.
Thank you for visit and comment on SWF.
Have a nice weekend.

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.