Saturday, December 6, 2008

YRP 53/ SOOC Sunday

Saturday, Santa came to town...East Gwillimbury, that is. More specifically, he rode his sleigh through one of EG's communities called Mount Albert. (Pictures of this annual extraordinary event will be posted next week. Santa in Mt Idy Mount Albert...WOW!)

It was a frigid, overcast lovely day , so cold my point-and-shoot Canon PowerShot almost refused to work, and I thought my un-gloved fingers were going to fall off. PLUS -- and I kid you not -- Santa commented that it was colder than the North Pole. I didn't know Santa has an attitude.

For a few minutes, a couple of York Regional police (a region is sort of like a county) took us back in time to the mid 1950s, driving this vintage 1953 York County (as it was called back then) police car along the parade route.

FYI: YRP on the license plate stands for York Regional Police and the 53 -- I assume -- for the year of this police car. The police car following this one is YRP 90 and that means... OK, you get the picture.

This photo is SOOC (Straight Out Of the Camera)...except I DID downscale the image from 3264 x 2448 to 800 x 600 so it would take 10% of the time to upload onto your computer. (Are you confused yet?)

To see more photos Straight Out Of the Camera (SOOC) visit Jan at http://www.murrieta365.com

19 comments:

Shammickite said...

When Santa left Mt Albert he must have whipped the reindeer into a frenzy cos he arrived here in Stouffville right after... good thing the YRP were looking the other way (probably polishing up their pride and joy YRP 53).

Shammickite said...

Maybe he hitched a ride with the Shriners cos they were at Stouffville too!

Rose said...

Yesterday Santa would have froze to death if he were here...today is a bit better.

Nice car...love the old vehicles.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

EG: Definetly a 1953 Chevrolet, it was my first car and I remember the grill quite well, that was a great photo.

Jan said...

Love your post and photo, I can almost feel the movement of the parade.

Becky said...

My goodness he is a busy boy! I think I saw him in Wal-Mart here in the states round about the same time! LOL.
Great shot of the 50's Chevy. I actually remember them!

Carletta said...

It's like you took us back in time.
53 was a good year. ;)

You know, this would have been a great sepia shot. As soon as I saw it that's what I thought.

The Shriners have a train - cool.

dot said...

This is a nice clear and colorful picture. I like the old car. As for Santa, I don't pay much mind to him.

Small City Scenes said...

I have a Canon Powershot too. SX100
and ALL my pics are SOOC. Is that good? Nice Chevy and cool (literslly) Santa. MB

roentare said...

It must be hard for you but things surely will turn out fine!

Darla said...

Great shot of that old police car. Taking photo's in mittens is probably difficult.

Darla

Anonymous said...

1953, the year I went to war. Those Chevys were nice cars for their time.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Great Photo! That car is great. 1953 was a great year for cars!!

Sherrie

Mary said...

How cool is that?! Love it!

maryt/theteach said...

Oh, EG, that car is extraordinary in itself! How lucky you are to watch Santa come to town... :)

Anonymous said...

You guys can keep those cold cold temperatures up there - just send us some of that snow down here!!!

Neal said...

I'm confused so you've been successful. :) I like the old car. I think fishing guy is correct about the make of the car.

Anonymous said...

Grand old car - I had a Vauxhall that owed something to this design.
A very fine picture, too.

Kelley Irish said...

I just found your blog and have been enjoying it. I am descended gtom the Mannings and Yorks that came from this area. It is really nice to see what the area my family came from. ON case you are interested they settled in Ravana Michigan not far from the shores of Lake Michigan. Most of the our branch of the family remains in area between Muskegon and Grand Rapids Michigan.

My blog is at http://weebitofblarney.blogspot.com/

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.