Entrance into Fort Willow, Barrie, Ontario
Notice the British flag inside the palisade. At the end of the War of 1812 (actually 1812-15), this fort was a supply depot that helped ensure that Canada maintain the geographical boundaries it has today.
Fort Willow was strategically located, part of the Nine Mile Portage between Lake Simcoe and Willow Creek, which empties into the Nottawasaga River and eventually into Lake Huron.
In the spring of 1814, British soldiers arrived to fell trees and build bateaux - stable, flat-bottomed boats suitable for carrying heavy cargo down creeks and rivers.
During the War if 1812, this area was known as the northwest sector and British forces were concerned that American soldiers might try to enter Upper Canada (now Ontario) through the "back door" - Lake Huron.
The fort included eight log structures, but only part of the site has been restored in an attempt to blend the historic site with a conservation area (Minesing Wetlands).
Three Sisters garden
Planting squash, corn and beans together was a traditional First Nation strategy. The first sister - corn - grows strong and tall, a place for the third sister - beans - to climb on. Meanwhile, beans fixed nitogen to the soil providing fertilizer.
The second sister? Squash, which provided shade, keeping the roots moist and cool. Also the prickly squash leaves discouraged hungry predators from helping themselves to the ripened corn.
Entrance from parking lot
More photos from Our World can be seen by clicking HERE