Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Country Roads / Nature Notes

Early September along country roads

Largest square :Toad.  Moving clockwise: orange jewelweed (Impatiens capensis), the sap of which is said to to soothe skin irritated by poison ivy; white baneberry, also known as solls' eyes (Actaea pachyoda); dogwood berries (Cornus amomum); highbush cranberry (Viburnum trilobum) and alfalfa (Medicago sativa).

Please note that I include the botanical names because they remain the same around the world but the common names vary.

Please visit Michelle at Rambling Woods for more NATURE NOTES.

12 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

great colorful mosaic...love that cute little frog :)

Darla said...

Wonder if that frog would turn into a prince if you kissed him.

Darla

Judy said...

Beautiful colors...We went for a walk last night but didn't see too many colors out yet.

Leora said...

Thank (as always) for the identification - I envy your knowledge of the wild plants.

Unknown said...

gorgeous colorful mosaic!

Lois Evensen said...

Wonderful colors. :)

George said...

Your roadsides must be beautiful. Each of the pictures in this collage is a gem.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Great late summer mosaic. And I'm impressed that you know the plant names. Lovely post.

Rose said...

Very nice collage! Like Mr/s Toady!

Francisca said...

Your early September is still very colourful... except Mr Toad... and he does not look amused... but is he ever? :-D

Carver said...

That toad is great. I like all the shots and nice to have the jewelweed identified since I see a lot of that.

Rambling Woods said...

Love the toad of course. I haven't seen any frogs since the last one scared me as I was in the yard at dusk by jumping on the leg...wave as you pass us on the way to the falls in October...Michelle

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.