Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Early Fall/ Nature Notes

End of September

Frost free so far!

Looks like a monarch, but the butterfly in the largest square is actually a viceroy sipping sugar water at a hummingbird feeder. The hummingbirds have flown south leaving the feeder to the viceroy and a few yellow jacket wasps. FYI: Since taking the photo, the feeder has been taken down, cleaned, and stored away until next year.

Moving clockwise: the high bush cranberries (Viburnum trilobum) are red and very ripe (birds will eat them in late winter),  white pines (Pinus strobus) are shedding their yellow needles (they do this twice a year), elecampane (Inula helenium) seed heads are dried and brown, a few milkweed (Aesclepias) pods are dried and releasing their seeds, and seed heads on grasses are maturing and drying.

Please visit Michelle at Rambling Woods for more NATURE NOTES.

19 comments:

Kate said...

Love the co-existence at the bird feeder!

NatureFootstep said...

nice collection of shots for NatureNotes. :)

mine is here
http://nfbird.blogspot.com/

Darla said...

Nice mosaic and I haven't even thought about frost yet. We're still having warm days.

Darla

George said...

I really like your mosaic. We've put away our hummingbird feeders as well, and we miss our little visitors.

Dianne said...

the cranberries are so pretty
and the butterfly/wasp shot is amazing
so much detail

Lowell said...

I hope you're keeping copies of all your collages...they would make a great collection - a terrific coffee-table book! If I lived in Ontario, I'd sure buy one not only for the photos but for your scientific descriptions!

Re your comment about Ipanema and Leia and Cezar ... you can read their comment on that post today. Interesting.

TexWisGirl said...

really pretty. love the sprig of green pine!

Judy said...

I like how you got the butterfly and a wasp in one shot.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful captures of colors, contrasts and nature's loveliness.

Cezar and Léia said...

wow thanks for the butterfly picture!
Wonderful indeed!
Léia

MadSnapper said...

great jumping Jehoshaphat on the bee/yellow jacket/wasp and a butterfly in the same photo. wow

LindyLouMac said...

What a beautiful mosaic, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my "Skywatch – September Full Moon" photos, it was truly a beautiful display by Mother Nature.

Unknown said...

Great mosaic and macros.

betty-NZ said...

What great colors and subjects! I'm still waiting for spring here in NZ!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful collection of colour and form.

Janie said...

Love the photo of the butterfly and yellowjacket both sipping from the feeder. I just took down my hummingbird feeder, too.

Carver said...

Wonderful early fall shots. The viceroy butterfly does look like a monarch.

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely mosaic! Am I right in that Viceroys are non-toxic to birds and Monarchs are toxic?

Rambling Woods said...

I have had a downy using the one hummer feeder that I have up. The others are gone for the season.. again, I learn something new...

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.