Tuesday, August 28, 2012

End of August/Nature Notes

August 2012 is coming to a close

The countryside looks - to my eyes - a bit ragged these days. But there are also bright patches of colour. We're in between seasons here in Ontario. Summer is fading fast.

Largest square: evidence that many birds are molting and preparing to head south.

Moving clockwise: thistles (Cirsium) on this plant show various stages of flowering and going to seed, the blossoms of various species of goldenrod (Solidago) are flowering profusely along roadsides, arrowhead (Saggitatia latifolia) can be seen in full flower in shallow lakes and ponds, fox grapes are ready for picking (are you imagining yummy jellies?) and the first of the Michaelmas daisies (Aster) are announcing autumn's approach.

Please visit Michelle at Rambling Woods for more
NATURE NOTES.

17 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Another splendid photo-compilation, love it when you do these posts.

Paul in Powell River said...

Summer, sigh, appears to be gone here. Our fall rainy season has the upper hand, I hope temporarily.

Leora said...

Yum, those grapes look good. My asters are still green plants.

Darla said...

Great look at the last of summer. I particularly like the feather.

Darla

Lowell said...

Yep. Pretty soon it will cool down a bit and then it's 9 terrible months of great weather. Oh well, what can a person do.'

Take pictures! Like these. They're very good. A feather in your cap!

MadSnapper said...

the last colors of summer, so brilliant, the purples and blues are gorgeous.

TexWisGirl said...

goldenrod, although unwelcome, sure makes a statement. :)

Nature Rambles said...

A beautiful look at the end of summer! The grapes look most tempting!!

LONDONLULU said...

Oh beautiful nature! I love that feather and there really is an almost autumnal feel here, now you say it. I'm afraid we've still got hot summer and summer storms, but it's all fading fast!

Carver said...

Beautiful collage of the flowers and feather. I also love your shots of the cranes in flight in the next post.

Viola said...

Gorgeous my camera girl! :) I just love this collage! :)

Snowcatcher said...

I had never heard of the Muchaelmas daisy. What a beautiful name, and great collage to highlight the changing of the seasons.

NatureFootstep said...

yes it is soon september. gret shots from a naturea similar to mine. :)

Vores have said...

Beautiful collage showing with natural images :)
Hanne Bente

Rose said...

Beautiful collage...love the feather caught.

Rambling Woods said...

I am happy to hear that there is goldenrod and other flowers blooming even if we are headed toward fall...Michelle

Stephanie said...

I love these shots in your collage, especially the feather and thistle. It is feeling much much cooler here on the island.

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.