Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mid-August/Nature Notes

Mid-August ALREADY!

Everything looks brighter and cleaner this week now that we've gotten rain here in Central Ontario. Queen Anne's lace is fading and some varieties of goldenrod are beginning to bloom, so I know autumn is on it's way. But it's not here YET.

Largest square: wasp on swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata); golden rod (Solidago ssp.) not sure which one; chicory (Cichorium intybus) still blooming like troopers; spotted knapweed (Centaurea maculosa); common tansy (Tanecetum vulgare)) and nodding thistle (Carduus nutans)

Please note: I include botanical names because so many common names change from region to region but botanical names remain the same.

Please visit Michelle at Rambling Woods for more
NATURE NOTES.

13 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

What a pretty collection of plants!

MadSnapper said...

the plants are beautiful the wasp is way to big for me

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I like your flower arrangement. You sure know your flower names. I don't.

TexWisGirl said...

the color of chicory is one of my favorites. so lovely!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

The wildflowers are beautiful! The goldenrod is beginning to bloom here too.

LONDONLULU said...

I love these wildflowers - looks like you guys get great colour/variety even in late summer!

Lowell said...

It can't be mid-August already. Why, pretty soon I'm gonna be teasing you about your snow and cold and about all the Ontarions down in these parts!

You always do lovely floral collages. With bugs. Sometimes.

eileeninmd said...

Lovely flowers and colors! Your mosaic looks beautiful.

Carver said...

I'm glad you got some rain. The flowers all look very happy.

Faye said...

I really want to learn to do these photo mosaics--wehat a nice way of telling a story through photos.

Susan said...

Just beautiful!

Rambling Woods said...

Good to see some nectar flowers in your area EG..There is concern about the availability of flowers for migrating monarchs and of course other butterflies as it was a hard year for them....Michelle

Anonymous said...

Lovely group of wildflowers!

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.