Sunday, June 16, 2013

Wilson's Snipe/Birding

 Wilson's snipe (Gallinago delicata)

Wilson's snipes are usually quite common on the Carden Alvar northeast of where I live. The alvar is a wet, grassy place in spring, although quite dry in summer.

Last time we visited the alvar, we could hear them but they were otherwise elusive until late afternoon when one suddenly flew out of a ditch, circled in the air above and then landed on this post.


On another post, this one looks a bit wind blown

Notice this one's very long beak. It's used to probe muddy areas for small invertebrates. The Wilson's snipe's beak is flexible. The tips can be opened and closed without moving the beak at its base.

Flying high

Here's an interesting fact: the femlae lays four eggs. The male takes the first two that hatch to raise them. The female raises the second two.

I am linking with I'd Rather B Birdin'  HERE.

20 comments:

Indrani said...

Excellent captures! How the colors match so well!

Lowell said...

You did a fabulous job getting these shots! I'm surprised there really are snipes. When those big kids wanted to take me snipe hunting, I thought they were pulling my leg so long ago and intended to leave me in the woods! :)

MadSnapper said...

i got a good chuckle out of this one. when i read he flew out of a ditch, circled in the air above and then landed on this post.flew out of a ditch, circled in the air above and then landed on this post, I thought you meant he landed on YOUR POST today, then i saw the pic and had a good laugh. he did BOTH

Anni said...

Incredibly beautiful!! Love the 1st pose you've managed to capture. And the one in flight....awesome.

That flexible beak is a very interesting tidbit!!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Interesting fact about the parents splitting the duties. Never heard of that before.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love the first picture,the background is perfect and so is the pose. Thanks for the interesting facts,which I did not know before today.I always knew blogging was educational.

Susan Anderson said...

Beautiful! And that split-parenting arrangement is pretty interesting!

=)

TexWisGirl said...

wonderful shots on the post!

FAB said...

The 1st image is a classic pose. Well done.

I like the idea of equal parenting.

Unknown said...

Beautiful bird. It has the perfect colours to be almost invisible in the dry grass.

eileeninmd said...

Cool sighting of the Snipes! They usually blend in very well with the habitat. Great shots!

RedPat said...

Such great info, EG!

Anonymous said...

I love the first shot.

LONDONLULU said...

What a handsome bird, I love seeing it from that angle in the 2nd pic, and also flying free in the last!

Unknown said...

Great find!! Boom Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Carole M. said...

lucky for you; love the Wilson's Snipe!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful looking bird, great captures!

Kate said...

An interesting family dynamic!

Millie said...

So much interesting information! Lovely pictures.

I can't post with my open ID the way your comments are set up (stupid Blogger) because it says the url is missing, but it isn't. It will let me use the open ID if comments are embedded.

Teresa from Eden Hills

Pat Tillett said...

Two eggs each! That is amazing!
Very nice photos. Now I have to Google the word "alvar."

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.