Wednesday, August 25, 2010

By the Tracks 2/ Nature Notes

A swampy area near the railway tracks in Zephyr, Ontario

This is the same railway line as last week but several kilometres north in a swampy area. The largest square is of turtlehead (Chelone glabra). I grow a pink version in my gardens and was delighted to find this small stand of white ones in the wild!  Moving clockwise: purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria), obedient plant (Physostegia virginiana), wild aster (I have no idea which variety - there are so many!), red clover (Trifolium pratense) and Queen Anne's lace  (Daucus carota) going to seed.

For more Nature Notes,  please visit Michelle at Rambling Woods by clicking  HERE.

14 comments:

B SQUARED said...

So many of our Wildflowers are late in their cycle. People say it was an early hot Spring and a hot summer. Regardless, there are still plenty around.

Shammickite said...

Purple loosestrife.... an invasive plant that is taking over many of the wetlands. But it's so pretty!

Small City Scenes said...

You are so observant and that is wonderful. These wild flowers are all beautiful. Shammickite is right about the purple Loosestrife. It is such a bright color in the wetlands but not good.
Your collage is excellent. MB

Tammie Lee said...

each one is quite lovely, now that is finding beauty anywhere... next to a railroad track.

George said...

I really like the name 'obedient plant'. I wonder if I could get it to behave in our yard?
Thanks for another beautiful mosaic.

Nessa said...

They are all pretty but the Queen Anne's lace is interesting.

Francisca said...

Another pretty flower mosaic, EG. I smiled at George's comment. :-)

Paulie said...

Nice collage! You are so well versed on the wild flowers there! I saw one of those tall ones and thought it was a weed. . . now I know better!

Michelle said...

I do love the Queen Anne's Lace. We have quite a bit of it on our farm.

Carver said...

So many beautiful flowers and plants you find along the tracks. I like the color of that wild aster. Reminds me of wild aster I have but mine is white.

Coffeeveggie addict. said...

Beautiful c0llage,i especially like the purple 0ne!

Kaori said...

Oh how pretty! I love finding wildflowers :D

SandyCarlson said...

These are gorgeous!

Rambling Woods said...

Beautiful....you make so many special nature finds.....

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.