Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 13/ Nature Notes

A slice of Ontario's wildlife and wildflowers in mid July

Largest square: A young and energetic hairy woodpecker eating peanuts. Working clockwise: heal-all (Prunella vulagaris), crown vetch (Coronella varia), milkweed (Asclepias syriaca), musk mallow (Malva moschata) and purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria).

Please note that I include the botanical names because they remain the same around the world but the common names vary.

Please visit Michelle at Rambling Woods for more NATURE NOTES.

15 comments:

Darla said...

Lovely shades of lavendar. The name loosestrife always amuse's me for some reason.

Darla

MadSnapper said...

beautiful flowers and I am thinking the woodpecker is laughing, his face looks like he knows something we don't

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful purples.

Icy BC said...

Beautiful wild flowers in my favorite color, and the wood pecker is wonderful!

Lois Evensen said...

So pretty and lovely the way all the colors blend.

Malyss said...

Some of my favorite colors! and I love the little bird!

??? said...

Lovely shots. I looked up the Heal-All because I found the name interesting, I had no idea it was so widely used for medicinal purposes.

Carver said...

The flowers are so lovely and you got a great shot of the hairy woodpecker.

Leora said...

"heal-all" - what a great name. I love purple loosestrife. Beautiful array of pale purples.

George said...

All of these pictures are wonderful, but I really like the one of the woodpecker.

Janie said...

Beautiful wildflowers. July must be a good month for purple.

MyMaracas said...

The color purple! Plus a fat, sassy woodpecker. Lovely set.
:)

Anonymous said...

Very nice collage! The flowers have wonderful colors.

Lisa Gordon said...

This is wonderful!
I love the way you've put this together here.

Rambling Woods said...

It is a beautiful slice of life as we really love our summers....Michelle

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.