Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 6/ Nature Notes

By the railroad tracks, Mount Albert (East Gwillimbury)

Ever since I was a little kid I've enjoyed playing near the railroad tracks. Different railroad tracks now, though. Trains pass along these many times a day - Canadian National, Ontario Northern and Via Rail. Passengers and cargo. But now instead of collecting rocks and bouquets of flowers, I make photos.

This week, tree swallows must be nesting. They are making a racket and sitting on the fence watching my every move.

Working clockwise:  common goat's beard (Tragopogan dubius), purple alfalfa (Medicago sativa), chicory (Cichorium intybus), black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta) and oxeye daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare).

Please note that I include the botanical names because they remain the same around the world but the common names vary.

Please visit Michelle at Rambling Woods for more NATURE NOTES.

16 comments:

Darla said...

Great collage, I'm on a blue flower kick right now so the chicory really caught my eye.

Darla

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

You really put these photos together into a WOW!
nellie

Lois Evensen said...

What a lovely grouping.

Leora said...

Love the purple alfalfa. Thanks for giving all the names.

Halcyon said...

You always find such nice nature shots. Love all the flowers. :)

Roan said...

Wonderful collage. I too loved to walk along the railroad tracks. Our farm was right across the road from a railroad track. The engineer used to sound the whistle as he passed our house. We always ran outside to wave. Nice memories.

Kate said...

We all agree that the collage is well-designed. Do you use Picasa or a different program?

Judy said...

As always, I just love your collages.

VioletSky said...

I am dreadful at identifying flowers - wild or otherwise - so I always appreciate when the common and botanical names are listed!

Jenn Jilks said...

Great job. Great shots! Happy summer, colours, flowers, water...

Carver said...

I've always liked railroad tracks too. Lovely shots of nature in your part of the world.

Rambling Woods said...

You took me back to my parents cabin. It was on a huge hill in Attica NY and down at the bottom were train tracks. We used to climb down there and look for rocks to add to my collection. I wonder where that collection went.. Glad the monarch info was good. I had no idea that wasps and spiders can eat the caterpillars and I guess many of them get eaten..I really hope this ones does OK....Michelle

??? said...

I just had chicoree to eat last night, really lovely flowers.

eileeninmd said...

Lovely flowers and collage!

Arija said...

It is interesting to see the carious common names but I definitely appreciate botanical names.
Railway tracks are a great attraction both for children and adults, they so often have wonderful wildflowers.
Your mosaic is so beautiful.

Francisca said...

Lovely nature montage, EG... I especially like the goat's beard. I am impressed that you know your flower names. I'm a zero in this arena... or maybe negative... even when I think I've done my homework, someone comes along to correct me, which is fabulous, but proves what an ignoramus I am in this field!

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.