Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Few Minutes in the Life of.../Camera Critters

American goldfinch (wild canary)

Sheesh! What's with the camera? Can't you see I'm about to take a bath? A sweet, shy, lovable goldfinch like me needs a little privacy, ya know!

What? An Honest Scrap award from Lisa at Villas Girl Photos?

You and Lisa want ME to tell you 10 honest things about myself!? Hmmmm. I'd rather tell you 10 honest things about my greedy gregarious cousins, the pine siskins. ;-)

Pine siskin

Please note: the opinions expressed in this post are solely those of the American goldfinch in the first photo and NOT those of other goldfinches or the owner of this blog.

OK, here goes, the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth a few exaggerations:

1. Yeah, the siskins have moved in for the season. Everywhere we go, they go. Birders say it's not an invasion but an irruption, which means siskins migrate in irregular patterns. Maybe next year they'll stay with another branch of the family?

2. The invasion irruption of siskins this winter is likely caused by a shortage of their favourite winter foods in the forests further north. They are here in extraordinary numbers.

3. Pine siskins, Carduelis pinus, are approximately the same size as American goldfinches but not as cute colourful. Notice that pine siskins have mottled brown backs and narrow beaks. They are not the showiest birds in the neighbourhood. The streaks of yellow on their wings and tail base are somewhat attractive.

4. Pine siskins sometimes hang upside down when they eat.

5. At feeders, pine siskins are voracious pigs fond of thistle seed as well as black sunflower seeds.

6. Pine siskins enjoy a bath just as much as American goldfinches do. I sure hope I don't look THAT silly when I'm bathing!

7. In addition to "pine siskin" another of their common names is “pine chirper.” To hear what they sound like, click HERE.


8. Individual siskins may stay near a dependable food source and breed far south of the normal breeding range. Please promise they ALL won't stay!

9. That means the pine siskins may stay here to breed before they travel north for the summer! They build well-insulated nests of twigs, grass, lichen, and/or hair of dogs cats and other animals. Their nests are not very tidy.

10. Very social, they sometimes build adjacent nests with only a few feet between them. There goes the neighbourhood!


To join in the Camera Critter fun, visit Misty Dawn's site at http://camera-critters.blogspot.com

33 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Aww they are so sweet and so fantastically well captured!

Small City Scenes said...

Well aren't you interesting and informative. Thanks, I know all about Pine Siskins. He is one wet bird. LOL
Love the American Goldfinch--State bird og Washington. MB

Small City Scenes said...

Oh I forgot to say---we both featured birds today. Odd!! MB

Gypsy at heart said...

Cute, cute blog! Educational as well. What a lovely sense of humor you have.

http://www.wanderingwonderinggypsy.blogspot.com/

Rose said...

Great captures--that one with the birds face down in the water gets a chuckle from me.

George said...

Great pictures. I really appreciate the opinion of your goldfinch about the pine siskins. We've been overrun by pine siskins this winter.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Awe--those darn Siskins. I just wrote a blog about them yesterday. We have WAY too many--and there is siskin illness (salmonella) down here BIGTIME. I'd like to NEVER see a siskin again--even if they are cute. AND --this comes, not from the Goldfinch, but from ME.
Betsy

Judy said...

Adorable!

Sandy Kessler said...

these are fantastic photos all of them Sandy

Unknown said...

These are all very sweet. I love me the birdies! ;-)

Lilli & Nevada said...

Great photos as usual. Nice 10 thought as well

Tammie Lee said...

This was a seriously fun read and the photos are simply marvelous.

Janie said...

Your crossed out comments from the goldfinch are hilarious. Great photos!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

EG: Those are some super neat shots of the bathing process.

kayleen said...

Great photos of the siskins. Thanks for sharing

Linda said...

What fabulous shots ... what type of camera do you use?

Mary said...

I think they are both very cute! And I believe the goldfinch is our state bird in NJ, too. Your photos are terrific!!!

Anonymous said...

Who knew birds closed their eyes when they bath! Great water ripples and splash droplets.

Anonymous said...

Some great shots!

Mom Knows Everything said...

What great shots!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Superb photography and just so cute. Your siskins are similar to our but the goldfinches are nothing alike.

NoBS said...

Great post! Looks like a refreshing bath!

Coy Hill said...

What a hoot! I enjoyed how you shared so much information is such a humorous post along with excellent photographs.

dot said...

Wow, very good pictures and funny you with the crossed through words!

Unknown said...

These are all A 100% Perfect!!! And I love lil Mr goldfinch's opinion. :) Such sweet little birds!

Carletta said...

What a wonderful photo essay!
Great shots - looks like you were very close.

Becky said...

Thos Pine Siskins are so darn cute, but they eat me out of house and home! Wonderful captures EG!
B.

Marites said...

awwww....so cute! and you captured her bath pretty well. so endearing.

Jenn Jilks said...

Just so cute! Great photos. I'm so glad you include the map of EG, too!

Anonymous said...

Wow they are so closely captured. The golden one so cute and the narration that goes along with the pine chippers sounds fun. Thanks for sharing.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Awesome post!! Loved it! Thanks for all the info on the Pine Siskin. I didn't know all that. Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Rhea said...

That is one wet Pine Siskin. but I LOVE the Goldfinch. These photos are really awesome. You did a great job!

Mojo said...

The goldfinch is cracking me up!

I'd love to know how you managed to get so close to these guys without scaring them off. The only way I ever seem to be able to do that is to catch them on a branch waaay over my head with a long lens. Which gives me about one angle to present. And not the most attractive one at that.

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.