Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Wild Lilacs

Lilacs (Syringa) grow wild here but they are not indigenous to Ontario. Pioneers brought lilacs to North America in the early 1600's. Lucky for us, lilacs bushes could withstand a long sea voyage. Better still, they grew well on this side of the Atlantic.
The foundations of many old Ontario farmsteads can often be located by first spotting a lilac in bloom. Lilacs also go freely alongside many country roads.

Although there are approximately 25 species of lilacs, all are native to Asia and southern Europe. French lilacs have naturalized here.

8 comments:

Rose said...

What beauties those are! I wish I had some that color! They are really beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers. They look almost like what we have. We have Korean Lilac bushes that grow quite tall and get very thick. The blooms are similar as these.

Shammickite said...

There's a lilac tree next to my house, last year hardly any blooms, this year it's covered and it smells so gorgeous in the evenings!
Lovely pics EG... I see lilacs all over the place, it's nice to know they ususally mark the place where a homestead used to be... apple trees do the same!

Shammickite said...

I see you have a frost warning too... I just went out and put flowerpots over my peppers and tomatoes.

Jack and Joann said...

I miss having a lilac bush. We had a beautiful one on our farm in Ohio. Virginia is a hard place for lilacs to grow---the heat and humidity. I love the color of this one.

Small City Scenes said...

Lilacs are so homey. Also pretty and smell good too. MB

Neal said...

Those are beautiful!!!

Just Roaming The Cities said...

My favorite flowers are Lilac tree flowers (and bleeding hearts). Nice shots!!

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.