I've never planted these annual bread-seed poppies (Papaver somniferum), but every year they "pop" up in my gardens. A former owner of our century-old farmhouse must have planted them...but who knows when?
For a couple of years we didn't even know the poppies were here. They were patiently lying in wait.
Then one spring my husband dug a big circle about a foot deep to construct a brick patio. Well, he abandoned the project for a few days, for whatever reason, allowing some time for weeds to sprout. The seedlings looked like lettuce so we waited to see what would happen next.
And guess what! Poppies are members of the same family as lettuce. But lettuce is nowhere near as pretty.
Friends who encourage me
- ► 2015 (485)
- ► 2014 (400)
- ► 2013 (408)
- ► 2012 (408)
- ► 2011 (499)
- ► 2010 (490)
- ► 2009 (439)
- Sky Watch Over Holland Landing
- Great Spangled Fritillary
- Blanketflower's Many Faces/ Ruby Tuesday
- Monarchs Rule!
- Odd Shots brought to you by the letter...
- One is not enough
- Red-Spotted Purple Butterfly
- Small Pond on Rainy Day
- Kids in the Garden/ Favourite Things
- Shiny Green Bee
- Public School, Ontario-style
- Somewhere in EG/ Ruby Tuesday
- Meadowhawk at the Pond
- Through Supermarket Window/Odd Shots
- Chippy/ Camera Critters
- Red-spotted Admiral Butterfly
- Wee Clown
- Sunset over Potato Field/ Sky Watch
- Catching Pollywogs (Tadpoles)
- Z is for Zephyr
- Calico Pennant (dragonfly)/ Ruby Tuesday
- Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
- Odd Shots/ Popular Pastime
- 12-Spotted Skimmer/Camera Critters
- Who? ME!
- Bread-seed Poppy
- Y is for Youth and Young at Heart
- Eastern Comma Butterfly
- Holland Marsh Canal/ Bridges Between
- Kid-friendly Garage Sale
- White Admiral Butterfly
- What's For Dinner?
- Sunset Over Grassy Field/ Sky Watch
- Bees love Rugosa Roses!
- Ontario’s Vegetable Patch
- Theme Day/ "NO" signs
- ▼ July (36)