In this photo you are seeing the underside of the King's Highway 400 Bridge, which goes over the Holland Marsh Canal. The "400" -- as locals call it -- was built in 1952. So, yes, the bridge has been here a while.
The highway is four lanes wide, originally built to connect Toronto with Barrie. Since then it has been extended north to take vacationers from the city of Toronto to "cottage country" (lakes, rivers, hiking trail, camping areas, summer homes and fun).
The Holland Marsh Canal helps regulate the water in the Holland Marsh, farmland that grows fresh vegetables for Toronto and much of the Province of Ontario.
Here you can see Canal Road, which runs parallel to the canal and also goes under the bridge to the right. You can't see the bridge from this view but you can see cars about to go over it.
To see more bridges, check out Rune's blog by clicking HERE.
Friends who encourage me
- ► 2015 (485)
- ► 2014 (400)
- ► 2013 (408)
- ► 2012 (408)
- ► 2011 (499)
- ► 2010 (490)
- ► 2009 (439)
- Sky Watch Over Holland Landing
- Great Spangled Fritillary
- Blanketflower's Many Faces/ Ruby Tuesday
- Monarchs Rule!
- Odd Shots brought to you by the letter...
- One is not enough
- Red-Spotted Purple Butterfly
- Small Pond on Rainy Day
- Kids in the Garden/ Favourite Things
- Shiny Green Bee
- Public School, Ontario-style
- Somewhere in EG/ Ruby Tuesday
- Meadowhawk at the Pond
- Through Supermarket Window/Odd Shots
- Chippy/ Camera Critters
- Red-spotted Admiral Butterfly
- Wee Clown
- Sunset over Potato Field/ Sky Watch
- Catching Pollywogs (Tadpoles)
- Z is for Zephyr
- Calico Pennant (dragonfly)/ Ruby Tuesday
- Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
- Odd Shots/ Popular Pastime
- 12-Spotted Skimmer/Camera Critters
- Who? ME!
- Bread-seed Poppy
- Y is for Youth and Young at Heart
- Eastern Comma Butterfly
- Holland Marsh Canal/ Bridges Between
- Kid-friendly Garage Sale
- White Admiral Butterfly
- What's For Dinner?
- Sunset Over Grassy Field/ Sky Watch
- Bees love Rugosa Roses!
- Ontario’s Vegetable Patch
- Theme Day/ "NO" signs
- ▼ July (36)