Tons of white-faced meadowhawk dragonflies live on the tiny island in a friend's small pond. They appear to spend quite a bt of their time catching and eating mosquitoes, which I think this one is poised to catch here in this photo.
Also on the island, moving clockwise from the dragonfly: a feather caught in a small bush, joe-pye-weed still in bud, plantain, cattails, and goat'sbeard seedhead.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Friends who encourage me
- ► 2015 (485)
- ► 2014 (400)
- ► 2013 (408)
- ► 2012 (408)
- ► 2011 (499)
- ► 2010 (490)
- ► 2009 (439)
- Sky Watch Over Holland Landing
- Great Spangled Fritillary
- Blanketflower's Many Faces/ Ruby Tuesday
- Monarchs Rule!
- Odd Shots brought to you by the letter...
- One is not enough
- Red-Spotted Purple Butterfly
- Small Pond on Rainy Day
- Kids in the Garden/ Favourite Things
- Shiny Green Bee
- Public School, Ontario-style
- Somewhere in EG/ Ruby Tuesday
- Meadowhawk at the Pond
- Through Supermarket Window/Odd Shots
- Chippy/ Camera Critters
- Red-spotted Admiral Butterfly
- Wee Clown
- Sunset over Potato Field/ Sky Watch
- Catching Pollywogs (Tadpoles)
- Z is for Zephyr
- Calico Pennant (dragonfly)/ Ruby Tuesday
- Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
- Odd Shots/ Popular Pastime
- 12-Spotted Skimmer/Camera Critters
- Who? ME!
- Bread-seed Poppy
- Y is for Youth and Young at Heart
- Eastern Comma Butterfly
- Holland Marsh Canal/ Bridges Between
- Kid-friendly Garage Sale
- White Admiral Butterfly
- What's For Dinner?
- Sunset Over Grassy Field/ Sky Watch
- Bees love Rugosa Roses!
- Ontario’s Vegetable Patch
- Theme Day/ "NO" signs
- ▼ July (36)
- EG CameraGirl
- East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.
Quite excellent EG, you do a great job with nature photos. MB
Those so-called weeds all look the same. I guess location doesn't change their physical appearance like it does people.
a splendid mosaic; I adore the color of this dragonfly; here they are blue
Very cool dragonfly, and the other shots are great! Very nicely done...
Anything that eats mosquitoes would be welcome in our garden. Wonderful collection of shots.
EG: Very nice post and a great shot of the dragonfly. Red is such an unusual color and is quite pretty.
I think this is your best ever!! I really like it.
Wow way cool and exceptionally good photos!
I love dragonflies..what a beautiful set of photos..
Re ABC Wed, can you give me your e-mail please?
Wonderful collage--again you must have had me in mind when you took them;)
Lovely pictures one and all. I'm partial to the red dragonfly (I've never seen one that is red) and the plantain. It almost looks like a nice flower!
Oh so lovely! It has been a crazy weekend. But I am back. Have a great day!
Gorgeous shots! Lovely collection ~ perfect for the cover of a nature journal.
Hi, would you mind emailing me (see my home page) with your contact info for Mrs. Nesbitt. She is setting up a separate page for the next round of ABC Wednesday and needs to send you an invitation. Thanks.
Fabulous collage!! That dragonfly is AWESOME!!
Great stuff, EG!
Joe-pye-weed... what a great name for a plant!
We used to have plantain battles.... just loop the stem round the neck of the flower... take aim... ready, steady, FIRE!
These are real beauties, never mind weeds
Post a Comment