Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Y/Alphabe-Thursday

 Yellowlegs walking in shallow water

I bet you can guess why this bird is called a YELLOWLEGS!

Every spring, greater and lesser yellowlegs migrate north over central Ontario, some to nest on Northern Ontario's tundra. During the last week of April, a flock touched down for a few days in a conservation area near where I live.

 Looking you a yummy treat

For quite a while, I was unable to take a decent photo. Kids and dogs kept the yellowlegs on the far shore. Hmmm. I was tempted to move in closer but the soil was muddy and slippery. Plus, my feet sunk in with every step.

At last the kids and dogs moved on, and after a bit, the yellowlegs decided to hunt for food closer to me and my camera. (Can you see me smile?)

On the shore

Greater, lesser? I find it difficult to distinguish between greater and lesser yellowlegs but I know both were eating crustaceans in the pond because two avid birders with binoculars told me. (I still have much to learn.) Suffice it to say, all the above photos are of yellowlegs.

I am linking to Jenny Matlock at Alphabe-Thursday HERE

32 comments:

Jill said...

Your patience paid off! Great shots!

Buttons Thoughts said...

These are very cool birds I am so happy you waited. B

Halcyon said...

I've never seen this bird. It's beautiful!

MadSnapper said...

they are beautiful, i love love the polka dots

Kathy said...

They almost look polka-dotted!

Darla said...

You take the greatest bird pictures, I enjoy every one of them.

Darla

TexWisGirl said...

have been fortunate to see them here once. :)

Linnea said...

What a sighting! Very interesting looking bird!

Paul in Powell River said...

They are a lovely bird, always fun to see.

Stephanie said...

A very interesting looking bird. Fun to see yellow legs and such striking markings in his feathers.

cieldequimper said...

Not only is it pretty, it also looks quite aware of its beauty in that dandy first shot!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I love those photos!

How cute they are. I've never seen anything quite like them...

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

What cool birds, love them!

Naperville Now said...

who knew?! great shots.

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Wow..they are awesome, awesome birds with yellowlegs! Love your photos!

Michelle said...

Loving those long, yellow legs!

Susan said...

Awesome photos! I've never seen a yellow legs!

Jo said...

fabulous photos! and what cool birds!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Great pics! That first one if the best, I think!

Gillian Olson said...

Great looking bird, and yes I'm pretty sure I know how it got its name.

Linda said...

What a cool bird, one I've not spotted yet, but I know I won't miss those yellow legs when I do see one.

Anonymous said...

Such long yellow legs! I'm so amazed at your patience to wait out the kids and dogs. :-) Your efforts were certainly rewarded.

A Colorful World said...

What a wonderful bird! You got some great shots of it.

Lisa Gordon said...

Those legs are amazing.
What a magnificent creature!

anitamombanita said...

Cool shots. I saw an eagle last week (águila mora) that had bright yellow legs. I'll have to post it...

Judie said...

Great photos! Those yellow legs really make a statement, don't they!!

Susan Anderson said...

Love these!

=)

Amila Kanchana said...

Can't recall ever seeing one before,lovely birds!

Janie said...

Your patience certainly paid off. I wouldn't know greater from lesser, but the yellow legs makes the rest of the I.D. easy.

Cheryl D. said...

I never heard of that bird! It's so cute!

Lola said...

Hi again!

Visiting from Mrs Matlock’s, many thanks for stopping by.

Great post – so apt.

Have a great Mother’s Day weekend too!

Jenny said...

My legs have a bit of a yellow cast to them, too.

I think I need to tan a bit!

ha!

This was really a neat capture! Love the reflections!

Thank you for sharing it.

A+

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.