Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Eastern Comma Butterfly
Another find in the York Regional Forest! This butterfly was dancing about the path as we walked westerly along the path. But then it spied something interesting (I have no idea what) and landed on this leaf. Was it tired, was it posing or was it sunbathing? Whatever! I opened my camera and shot it. ;-)
And, yes, when I returned home I had to look it up to find out what kind of lepidopteran it is: Eastern comma (Polygonia comma).
There are two forms: winter and summer. And this is... (I'll give you a couple of hints, I took the photo in July and there's no snow).
Friends who encourage me
- ► 2015 (485)
- ► 2014 (400)
- ► 2013 (408)
- ► 2012 (408)
- ► 2011 (499)
- ► 2010 (490)
- ► 2009 (439)
- Sky Watch Over Holland Landing
- Great Spangled Fritillary
- Blanketflower's Many Faces/ Ruby Tuesday
- Monarchs Rule!
- Odd Shots brought to you by the letter...
- One is not enough
- Red-Spotted Purple Butterfly
- Small Pond on Rainy Day
- Kids in the Garden/ Favourite Things
- Shiny Green Bee
- Public School, Ontario-style
- Somewhere in EG/ Ruby Tuesday
- Meadowhawk at the Pond
- Through Supermarket Window/Odd Shots
- Chippy/ Camera Critters
- Red-spotted Admiral Butterfly
- Wee Clown
- Sunset over Potato Field/ Sky Watch
- Catching Pollywogs (Tadpoles)
- Z is for Zephyr
- Calico Pennant (dragonfly)/ Ruby Tuesday
- Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
- Odd Shots/ Popular Pastime
- 12-Spotted Skimmer/Camera Critters
- Who? ME!
- Bread-seed Poppy
- Y is for Youth and Young at Heart
- Eastern Comma Butterfly
- Holland Marsh Canal/ Bridges Between
- Kid-friendly Garage Sale
- White Admiral Butterfly
- What's For Dinner?
- Sunset Over Grassy Field/ Sky Watch
- Bees love Rugosa Roses!
- Ontario’s Vegetable Patch
- Theme Day/ "NO" signs
- ▼ July (36)