Friday, October 3, 2008

St. George's Graveyard

This is sort of a continuation of yesterday's post in which we visited St. George's. This is some of the graveyard on three sides of the church, and you can see here how close the church is to Lake Simcoe.

Moving back a bit you can see more of the graveyard. Some of the headstones are of settlers who died more than a century and half ago, which is pretty far back in time for this part of Ontario. Notice how well the grounds are kept.

This plaque about Stephen Leacock is located on the road just outside the church grounds. Anyone remember reading Leacock in high school. I do, I do!

And now it's time to thank an online friend, MaryT, The Teach, for this kind award. I feel honoured because I admire Mary very much and love participating in her brainchild meme, Ruby Tuesday. Mary is not only funny (take a peak at her avatar! She's wearing HUGE green glasses), but she's also a deep thinker. How rare is that!? She's one of a kind. ;-) Check out her blog at http://workofthepoet.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Oh EG, that description is so flattering! Thank you! Thank you! And BTW is was in the passenger seat when I took the picture on my blog. No worries! :)

Shammickite said...

I've strolled around St George's graveyard many times, and also paid my respects to Stephen Leacock. He wasn't part of my childhood, as I grew up in UK, but one of the first theatre performances I saw when I first came to TO was "Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town", which I believe is about Orillia.

Daryl said...

Lovely .. the contrast is perfect!

:-Daryl

Gerald (SK14) said...

That is a lovely setting for a graveyard.

Tanya Breese said...

So beautiful! I really do have a thing for cemeteries. They are so peaceful and I do enjoy their beauty.

Gretchen said...

Great shots and congrats on the award!

2sweetnsaxy said...

I can imagine how great that is with it being right there at the water. Great shots.

Carletta said...

A beautiful spot for a final resting place!

That Celtic cross is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Graveyards are fascinating. It is a chance to see who is who among the status seekers. The finest tombstones are often not over the wealthy but those who wanted to spend their money so their kids couldn't get it.

Arija said...

My husband did his Phd. at McGill and we became great fans of A, B, C, and D. Especially poor D who had a leaking bucket to fill the bathtub without a plug. Poor D, the children cried when he died of exhaustion.
Unfortunatle we lost all our books as well as all else in a massive wildfire in 1983.
We have such happy memories of North America.

Rambling Woods said...

Congrats on the award..It is well deserved..and what a pretty cemetary

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.