Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Butterflies/ Fave Things

I really thought I wouldn't be photographing any more butterflies this year, but as a friend and I were walking along the forest path, this eastern comma (Polygonia comma) flew over our heads and landed in the middle of the path. Now what do you suppose I immediately did? RIGHT! I stopped short and whipped out my camera.

Earlier this year, I took a photo of an eastern comma, but it was a summer form. It has since perished.

THIS is the autumn (or winter form), usually emerging as a butterfly in August. It will overwinter under some bark, in a log or an earthen crevice, only coming out on warm days in winter to sunbathe and in April or May to mate and sip some tasty tree sap.

Yep, butterflies are among my favourite critters.


To join in the Favourite Things fun, visit Blue at Behind Kyanite's Door - http://behindkyanitesdoor.blogspot.com

And finally, I would very much like to thank Arija at Garden Delights for this lovely award. It feels good to know that someone out there enjoys my blog. And it's GREAT to meet new friends from around the world. In fact, Arija lives about as far away from Central Ontario as anyone can -- she's in South Australia in a climate and in a season very different from my own. Why not stop by Arija's blog and check it out for yourself? http://pilskalns.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

Again amazing!! We photograph sp many similar things. I suppose it is because we like to be outdoors so much. My butterfly is similar to your but mine I found perished but in somewhat good form. I think it is a West Coast Lady (vanessa annabella) of the Brushfoot Family. At first I thought it was a
Ruddy Copper but changed my mind. I guess I better post it for tomorrow. MB

Ivar Østtun said...

Beautiful shot. Lovely colors and pattern. Well done :-)

Tanya Breese said...

Well what could you do when it layed itself in front of you on the path, practically begging for it's picture to be made! Very pretty and I enjoyed reading about what they do for winter, I never knew that!
Congrats on your award and you can count me as one who always enjoys my visit!

Kyanite said...

Just been catching up with your photographic feast.
Particularly loved the squirrel shots.
And, as you've taken so many amazing Butterfly photo's including this one, I think this is a perfect Favourite Thing for you.
Sorry, I didn't comment last week re FT, but just resticted my blog time to posting my holiday photo's whilst away.

Best wishes
Blue

tr3nta said...

Is it for real!?... wow!! great zoom...

Darla said...

So they actually live through the winter there? Amazing. It is beautiful and looks fragile.

Darla

Craver Vii said...

I laugh while reading this post because I wonder... if a bunch of photo-type bloggers went for a little stroll, how often would they have to stop to take pictures? This butterfly turned out great!!!

Leedra said...

Love the Comma photograph. Sometimes they just are asking to be photographed, like that bee I posted a couple of days ago.

Congrats on the award.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

EG: You displayed the Comma so very well. I saw the antenna when looking through the SWF and had to come back.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

A beautiful butterfly; It would have been a shame if you would not have caught that one with your camera.

Roan said...

I like butterflies also, I am jealous of such a fine shot. Mine never cooperate by properly opening their wings. BJ

Rambling Woods said...

Another award well deserved and I love butterfly photos..

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.